We left in love with this little and calm village in North Est Bali. We love it so much that we came back 3 times. It is located between the tallest volcano of Bali, the Agung Mont (3000m) and the Bali Sea with its black sand beaches.
Amed is well known for its diving and snorkeling spots. The most famous diving spots are « Pyramids », « Drop off », « Bunutan », « Japanese Wreck », « Coral Garden », but the most famous one, world known, is the « US Liberty Wreck ». The Liberty wreck is considered by many as the best wreck dive in Asia. It is located 15 min away from Amed, in the little village of Tulamben.
The US Liberty was a United States Army cargo ship beached on the Tulamben coast. In 1963, the volcanic eruption of Agung Mont pushed it off the beach and sinked. The lava, full of minerals facilitated the creating of a coral garden and an incredible marine life in and outside the Liberty wreck. Today, it is one of the most visited wreck spots by divers.
Who can you dive with?
There are tremendous dive shops in Amed. But, we did all our dives with Dream Divers Bali Amed, it is a nice dive shop managed and owned by our Indonesian friends. It is the only dive shop where the owner, dive masters and staff are 100% locals. The gear and equipment are new, safe and good quality. One moto for them, Safety first. We felt safe and secure with them. They are patient and caring. Besides, for our last dive in the « Coral Garden » spot, our dive master did not hesitate to cancel the dive as the visibility was not good and took us to an other dive spot where the visibility was better.
You can ask for Madé or Gedé, when you reach the dive shop, they are the two dive masters with who we did all our dives.
You can visit the Dream Divers Bali website for more information.
Where to stay in Amed?
- Budulu Resort is a real nice hotel on a cliff. It has an amazing infinity pool. Travelers friends were staying here and said it was a really good deal. As the rooms are clean and cozy and included breakfast starting from 450 000RP (30€)
- Evolution Divers is a dive shop that owns 3 nice rooms. One of the best value for money in Amed. For less than 200 000 RP (13 euros), you get a clean room with private bathroom, Air Con and included breakfast.Reminder, we stayed in 3 different places in Amed as we went there 3 times (Kadek Homestay, Sony Homestay et Evolution Divers)
Where to eat?
- Hoki is a simple and cheap restaurant for amazing grilled fish, veggies and rice (25 000RP/ 1,70€). Fruit shakes are good and fresh (10 000RP/ 0,70€). In high season, the waiting time is high.
- Warung Enak has the best pizza in town and for an affordable price (70 000RP/ 5 euros).
Must do in Amed
- Embrace the luxurious sunset at the « Sunset Point », located at the top of the hill just after the Jemeluk Bay. The black sandy beach of Jemeluk Bay in the foreground and the Agung month in the background gives you a breathtaking landscape. You can even buy beverage and snacks on the spot.
- Dive and admire the wreck of the « liberty Wreck ». It is better to dive there early morning at around 6:30 to meet the Bumped head Parrot fish (BIG fish) and to be alone on the wreck.
How to get to Amed?
- In Land, you can either rent a motorbike (between 40 000RP and 50 000RP per day), or hire a private driver or taxi from Kuta (3 hours), Ubud (1:30 am) or Seminyak (2:30 am)-
- From Gili islands, take a 45min speed boat direct to Amed and costs between 200 000RP and 250 000RP.
JerryPeps by AGBackpackers.com